Damilola Olakanmi, a Nigerian law student based in East London, The United Kingdom, has died after eating the cannabis sweet she bought via a messaging app on her phone.
The UK Evening Standard reported that Olakanmi, 23, immediately fell ill after taking the sweet on March 29 and had to be rushed in a critical condition to Queen’s Hospital, London, via an air ambulance.
The University of Hertfordshire undergraduate eventually died at the hospital on April 2 from complications from the intake of the substance.
A US-based student and friend of Olakanmi, who also took from the substance while on a visit to the deceased, fell ill, but was later discharged by doctors after responding well to treatments.
According to Richard Taylor, a justice campaigner and friend of Wumi, the deceased’s mother, the late law student was an only child.
“Wumi has lost her only child – she has nothing now,” Taylor was quoted to have said. “They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.
“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.”
“Damilola was a promising young woman who should be looking forward to her future and having children of her own. She was studying law.”
A relative, named only as Dunni, added the family were demanding answers.
She said: “Damilola was a sweet, quiet girl – a bit of an introvert. Her mother looked up to her.
“She was very kind and loved looking after children and wanted to please everyone. The family will never come to terms with this. We need to know what happened. Her mother is not young any more.
Leon Brown, 37, of South Norwood, London, has been arrested by the police in connection with the incident.
He was subsequently charged with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, a psychoactive substance.
The Metropolitan Police said the case may be linked to a woman who was taken to hospital in March after eating cannabis sweet in another part of London. Officers have issued a warning over the sweets and said a number have been recovered and are being tested.
Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell, of the Met’s East Area Basic Command Unit, said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis sweets.
“Please do not buy or consume these products. They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.”