The Nigerian Army has driven Boko Haram militants from their last camp in the northeastern Sambisa forest, President Muhammadu Buhari has said in a statement.
The military has launched a large-scale offensive against the jihadist group in recent weeks.
Buhari said in a statement that the head of the army informed him on Friday, 23 December that the last major Boko Haram camp in the Sambisa forest had been captured.
“The terrorists are on the run, they have no place to hide,” Buhari’s statement said.
The Sambisa forest was Boko Haram’s former stronghold. The jihadist group is believed to have killed 15,000 people and displaced more than two million during a seven-year insurgency in northeastern Nigeria.
There has been speculation that some of the Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped in 2014 were being held in the forest, after it was mentioned by a small number of girls who escaped.
Buhari said in his statement that efforts to find the remaining girls would be intensified.
Following what in official circles is being touted as the total victory over the terrorists, the Federal Government has now re-opened two major roads in Borno later today, 25 December.
The roads are the Maiduguri-Gubio-Damasak and the Maiduguri-Mungono-Baga. The two major roads, which were earlier closed due to the activities of the insurgents in the area, are of strategic importance to the economy of the Lake Chad Region.