A good 27 percent or 22.3 million people in Germany have a so-called migration background. This corresponds to an increase of two per cent, according to the latest figures from the Federal Statistical Office/Photo: AfricanCourierMedia

New statistics on Germany’s inhabitants with migration background published

As the Federal Statistical Office announced in Wiesbaden on Tuesday, 22.3 million people living in Germany have a so-called migration background. This corresponds to a population share of 27.2 per cent. People with a migration background are those who themselves or at least one parent was not born with German citizenship.

According to the data determined on the basis of a micro census, the number of people with a migration background increased by two percent from 2020 to 2021.

Last year, about 53 per cent of the population with a migration background had German citizenship and about 47 per cent had the citizenship of another country.

According to the Federal Office, almost two thirds (62 per cent) of all people with a migration background are immigrants from another European country or their descendants. The second most important region of origin is Asia.

The most important countries of origin are Turkey (12 per cent), followed by Poland (10 per cent), the Russian Federation and Kazakhstan (6 per cent each) and Syria (5 per cent).

People with a migration background were on average 35.6 years old in 2021, while those without a migration background were 46.9 years old.

The gender ratio among people with and without a migration background hardly differs. In 2021, about 51 per cent of people without a migration background were women. Among people with a migration background, the proportion of women was 49.2 per cent.

Of those with an immigrant background, almost one in three (32 per cent) speak German exclusively at home and a further 14 per cent speak German predominantly. Together, this corresponds to almost half (46 percent) of all people with an immigration background. Besides German, the most commonly spoken languages are Turkish (8 per cent) followed by Russian (7 per cent) and Arabic (5 per cent).

Just under half (49 per cent) of all people with an immigrant background are reported to be multilingual and speak both German and (at least) one other language at home. This is the case for only 2 per cent of people without a migrant background.

Sola Jolaoso

Check Also

Germany, AU partner on Media Fellowship Programme

The African Union (AU) Information and Communication Directorate (ICD) in close partnership with GIZ (German …